We're excited to be bringing back our popular Beginning Quilting Class. Taught by seasoned quilter, Janet Hansen, this 8-part, class will teach and reinforce the basics of piecing a quilt! We will start from the beginning with cutting skills and accurate seam measurement. There will be eight different quilt blocks taught during the class, each with it's own unique techniques. You will make one block each week in class with teacher supervision, then more of the same block will be made at home as practice to perfect your skills. If you have never pieced a quilt, this class is for you!
If you have quilted for some time and would like to learn many tips and tricks to make your piecing more accurate, this is also the class for you! It is an enjoyable hands-on experience. When finished, you will have a beautiful 72" x 84" sampler quilt made from 42 traditional quilt blocks. This pattern has been designed by Janet exclusively for this class series!
Bonus patterns and ideas such as how to start with a simple block then make one tiny change to create an entirely new look or what to do with leftover half square triangles or flip corner remnants. Come and learn something new in this fun and informative class.
This class will be held from 6-9pm with two sessions in June, three sessions in July, and three sessions in August (8 Sessions).
*Please note this is not a children's quilting class. Attendees must be 16 or older and familiar with their sewing machine. Please visit our website for complete details, a supply list and to register. SUPPLY LIST
Receive 15% off any class supplies purchased at Corn Wagon Quilt Co.
There will not be a kit available for this session.
You will need your fabric for the first class.
To simplify the cutting process, I recommend you use only two or three different fabrics.
You will use only 100% cotton fabrics for this project - quilter's quality cottons highly recommended.
- 4 Yards of a neutral color.
This is the background. White, off-white or a light grey or tan works well. It can be plain or a tone-on-tone.
It can have a pattern but should look like a solid color.
- 4 Yards of the main focus fabric. It can be a floral, geometric or have a lot of pattern. Stripes or directional fabrics do not work for this project. Note: if you want two focus fabrics, buy 2 yards of each. This version is in the sample!
- 2/3 Yard for Binding This can be one of the focus fabrics or if you are using a focus fabric with a lot of different colors, you can choose one of the colors for binding.
This quilt does not have a border, but you are the boss of your quilt so if you want to add a border, I would recommend a 4" border. You will need an additional yard of fabric to do this.Quilt Back:
You do not need to purchase the back yet, but when you do, here is the info.
4 1/2 Yards of 42" wide fabric OR they also make 108" fabric for backs. You would need 2 1/2 yards of this.
If you choose to add a border, you will need 5 3/4 yards of 42" wide fabric OR 2 3/4 yards of 108" wide fabric for the backing.Sewing Items:
Bring anything you have on this list but do not go out and buy anything (except your fabric) until after the first class. I will give you some options and ideas for the tools I like best.
- Sewing Machine you are comfortable using. We will be sewing in class.
- 100% Cotton Thread
- Rotary Cutter 45mm or 60mm
- Cutting Mat DO NOT bring your mat to class. There are mats you can use in the classroom but you will need one to use at home.
- Quilting Ruler I prefer a 12.5" x 12.5"
- Quilting Pins
- Pin Cushion/Box (optional)
- Seam Ripper
- Tape Measure
- Iron There will be some for use in class but you will need one for home use.
I'm looking forward to this fun class!
If you have any questions feel free to give me a call!
801-360-2292*CLASS FEES ARE NOT REFUNDABLE FOR ANY REASON.